Saturday, April 9, 2011

knee surgery, part 2

so yesterday i had knee surgery... the deal was that my doctor was going to try to repair a tear in my meniscus. unfortunately, however, he was not able to repair it, so he just had to remove the torn part. according to what he told my dad post-surgery, i have about 60% of my left meniscus remaining. apparently this enough to do most things that i enjoy doing, like hiking for example, and other things that i should do, like running or exercising in general. playing sports that require cutting and quick changes of direction, like soccer, are out.

i'm bummed that this is how the surgery turned out. i have every confidence that my doctor, who is the same one who did the ACL reconstruction in 2003, did everything he could to try to repair the meniscus. it was simply irreparable. the good news is that the recovery time is shorter now. repairing the meniscus would have meant that i was on crutches for a month and a half to protect it as it healed. by just removing the torn part, i could be walking as soon as a few days from now. i plan to take it easy, though... there's no rush, and i don't want to do too much too soon and hurt myself again.

another silver lining in this whole deal is that my doctor says that the ACL that he put in in 2003 looks really good. yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment